Thursday, September 27, 2007

Finding the Beet

In almost every French refrigerator I've had occasion to peek into I will find a few standbys. These are a little different than the pb&j or yellow mustard so often seen in American refrigerators. On the bottom shelf of forgotten condiments there is usually a small jar of confit, pickles (with tarragon that I've mentioned previously) and beets. Beets you say?

My family usually has a jar of pickled beets in the fridge during the cooler months. They find their way to the table when we have a crudites platter at Thanksgiving, etc. But in France the beets are vacuum packed rather than pickled. They can sit there for months in the vegetable drawer until inspiration hits or people get desperate.

I am too excited about these to wait. My favorite thing about the beet is the texture. There is a tenderness to cooked beets that is unique. Cook other root vegetables--carrots, turnips, parsnips--and without a doubt you will have a delicious meal. But I get the same satisfaction from a thick slice of roasted beet as I do from a nice piece of meat (this isn't true with me and a carrot). Not a vegetarian, I am unsure if the protein provided by my rosy beet is a good replacement for animal protein but it is yummy and guilt free.

Also I want to point out the packaging of these beets. The mark Betty Loire is a subset of Terr'Loire. They have a website offering simple recipes that highlight the delicate flavors of their products. Beets seem to play second fiddle to the potato in the eyes of Terr'Loire but the recipes are worth checking out. Their beets are sold in threes and you have to be careful when you cut open one of the packages. That deep magenta juice is gorgeous but not easy to clean up. Especially for those of us who can't help but make a mess with food.

I am full of ideas for my beets and I'm starting with lunch today. I am considering a warm beet and goat cheese salad with a little sherry vinaigrette. I'm off to the market for shallots and we'll see what else. It has been raining for the last few days and the earthy flavor of a burgundy beet will be just right. If only I could find a great cider to accompany the meal.