Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Missing My Boy


There we were. Together and happy. And I had to leave... Tomorrow is a birthday. Not mine, yet. But listening to the birthday girl talk about how far away everyone she holds dear will be on her "special day" I could not help but think of my boy. Birthdays have stopped being such a big deal. This from the girl who once upon a time celebrated her half birthdays with cake and presents. Now I am happy to have made it through another year. I am no longer crying as I cling to the final moments of the past year nor am I holding a big welcome sign.
Things I wish for: Clark, my dog, at the foot of my bed, new books in English, cooking supplies, a new pair of shoes...but my wish list is the same every day. So if my birthday wishes don't come true it is no big deal, maybe I can do something to make someone else's wishes a reality. For tomorrow's birthday girl this means baking a cake. A very chocolate cake. She wants seven minute icing but I am thinking ganache. Sometime people have to adjust their dreams, right?